Frequently Asked Questions

Where are amusement rides?

Amusement rides are found in amusement parks (or theme parks, family entertainment centres, and other fixed sites) and in carnivals (also called fairs, funfairs, festivals).

The difference between them is that the rides in amusement parks are permanently installed and in carnivals they travel from place to place. The industry calls these fixed-site rides (parks) and mobile, portable, or travelling rides (carnivals). Very big amusement park rides are often permanently installed and not moveable, but some are the same as travelling rides. The midway is the area of a carnival where the rides are set up. The travelling business that puts on the rides, games, and food concessions might be called a “show”. There are large and small businesses among both parks and carnivals.